What is this OCTGN thing?
OCTGN (pronounced Octagon) is short for: Online Card and Tabletop Games Network.
Meet players Online
OCTGN 2.0 Indevelopment
With OCTGN, you can play any cardgame you want. On installation, OCTGN comes with a standard deck of cards, but you can add any cards you wish to it. Cardpatches or Sets aren't hosted on cardfloppers.com. If you want to have a certain cardpatch (set), ask around if someone can link you to one of the fansites.
- This program is for Windows 98, ME, 2000, or XP only. (2.0 will be X-platform)
- English, Spanish, German, French and Italian languages available
- Multiplayer up to 6 players also Spectator Only Mode
- Draft games & Sealed games
- Fully Skinnable
- Built in chat client
- Deckeditor as well as import or export decks
- FREE. No adware. No spyware. Promised. Open source program
1. Download and Install
OCTGN Base Setup 1.3.529 (~5MB)
----If you are running Windows 98/ME, you probably need to install you need to install the latest Microsoft Jet update for Windows 98 as well.
----If you are on XP and crashing for no apparent reason when running OCTGN, try to install the latest Microsoft Jet update for Windows XP.
Run OCTGN for the first time and select the "empty.mdb" file, click "Open", and make sure the program loads properly.
2. Download & Unzip the WOW Card Set Database:
(New sets will be added here as they are released.)
Put these files to a temporary folder, there should be a .txt file and a folder named LargeJPG. The .txt file must be one level above the LargeJPG folder, it cannot be in the LargeJPG folder, nor can you move it somewhere else!
In OCTGN, click Game, highlight Database, then click "Load New Cards"
Browse to the location of the HOA.txt file, to load the cards. You should receive a confirmation that the cards have been loaded.
Now, you are all set. Read on, to find out how to use OCTGN to import, create, and play with your decks online.
Basic Setup & Customization:
Set your nickname:
Click the "Game" Button, highlight "More Options".
Choose "Change Name" Set your name as desired and click OK
Click the "Game" Button, then Options.
Set Life Total: You can click the +/- buttons next to your life total. That's the "20" you see by your name. Set your life total to your Hero's life total.
Set Card Options:
Click the "Game" button, highlight "Card Options".
Make sure that "Show your card text" and "Show other's card text", and "Show your facedown cards" are all checked!
You're almost ready to play the WoW TCG online with other OCTGN users!
Importing Decks: (Right click and Save As)
XML's are avaliable on the decklist for each deck created on WOWTCGAME.com
Follow the steps below to import them into OCTGN.
In the main OCTGN window, click Deck Editor.
The Deck Editor window will appear.
Browse to the location where saved your deck .xml file.
Select the deck you want to load and click "Open"
You should receive the message: "Deck Added Succesfully..."
Building a Deck:
Use our Deck Editor Online and Save your Deck to XML.
Import using the steps above.
Loading a Deck for Play:
Once you have a deck imported into OCTGN, you need to load it for use in play:
In the Deck Editor window, click the name of the deck you want to use then click "Load"
You will be taken back to the OCTGN window and you deck count should now display the proper number of cards.
Find someone to play agianst:
Currently there isnt' a great way to find someone to play with online. Use these resouces until a better approach is found.
TIPS & TRICKS to making this work.
1. You'll need to bring your hero card out of your library before the game starts.
2. Second you'll need to decide whether to host or connect. If you have a firewall and have already configured it to host with Apprentice, then you would also be able to host games on OCTGN. Basically Open up the ports you set (1001) by default. Of course, you'll also need to have configured port forwarding on your router for it to work. Please see your router's support page for instructions. This is sometimes called "Virtual Server".
3. Use Ventrillo or some other voice software. It's much easier then typing.
OCTGN play guide